Helpline 01823 334 244
The Mankind Initiative is the principal, expert and specialist charity in the UK focussing on male victims of domestic abuse. The charity collaborates and works in close partnership with other organisations and practitioners to support these victims too.
We were the first in Great Britain to support male victims. Our expertise derives from directly supporting male victims since 2001, our qualified professionals who manage the charity and our board which also consists of the UK’s leading academics and survivors.
Our three main activities are based on:
- Direct support to male victims through a national helpline funded by donations (over 2,000 calls per year)
- Support for organisations and practitioners who want to better recognise, support and understand male victims. This is through our specialist training, consultancy and support service, MIDASS and the national community and information network for practitioners that we created, own and manage, MDAN
- Giving male victims a voice by engaging with stakeholders such as the government, statutory agencies, politicians, academia and the media.
Our aim is to ensure all male victims of domestic abuse (and their children) are supported to enable them to escape from the situation they are in. We are gender inclusive in our view so we want all female victims (and their children) to escape too.
The charity’s principles are based on the Small Charities Governance Code and its values are Responsive, Inclusion, Integrity and Confidence.
We employ four members of part-time staff to operate the help-line and rely on a small team of volunteers to run the charity. Three of the team are qualified Independent Domestic Violence Advisers (IDVA) and two have Domestic Abuse Services Manager qualifications. We currently receive no funding for our helpline from government (or the “state”), trusts or grant-making bodies so we rely on the kind generosity of the public to provide this vital service.
Find out what we do in more detail here.
Mark Brooks OBE (Chairman)
Associate Professor Elizabeth Bates
Lori Busch (IDVA)
Professor Ben Hine
Cllr Roz Willis
Ann and Derek Goodchild
John Penrose MP
Our sincere thanks to Marc Hughes for setting this up.
ManKind Initiative channel
The charity is funded by donations from members of the public and company donations for its helpline alongside grants/fees for training.
It has in the past been funded by:
- HM Treasury, Chancellor of the Exchequer to deliver domestic abuse support to the Armed Forces.
- The Home Office to provide training to police forces across England and Wales.
The ManKind Initiative fully supports the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) Domestic Violence and Abuse Quality Standard (QS116)
All of our services meet the Quality Standard.
We support and endorse the UK SAYS NO MORE campaign
Facilitated by Hestia – the UK SAYS NO MORE campaign involves a broad coalition of advocacy and service organisations, leading corporations, media companies and major advertising, branding and design firms.
The charity is also a proud member of the Men and Boys Coalition
We are also supporters (we were members of its advisory committee on developing the toolkit) of the Employers Initiative on Domestic Abuse
Our one day training course is CPD accredited
We are members of the Telephone Helplines Partnership
Registered Address: Flook House, Belvedere Road, Taunton, TA1 1BT
Registered Charity No. 1089547
Company Registration No. 3869893
Our Charity Commission page which include our accounts can be found here